STATE OF FLOW played to rave reviews at the April 2020 Documentary Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Hendricksen Armand: I found this wonderful art browsing on social media and I never thought of Hula Hooping being more than keeping a plastic circle from falling off your waist. I immediately became drawn to it as I scrolled through my Instagram feed and saw these talented hoopers do some amazing things. Then I begin to ask myself why did they decide to hoop? How did they get into it? Hence the film was born.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
This film took me a year and a half to complete.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Navigating the different storylines was a big challenge on this film. We wanted to keep it under 10 minutes while still including multiple viewpoints from the subjects. This film’s first cut and final cut are very different. They are two different films!
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very pleased and excited to hear the feedback from the film. I love to hear what someone takes from a film and how it impacted them. I was happy to hear that people learned about a new subculture and might even give it try.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
This idea, like my previous films, came to me and once an idea finds me, I tend to put it on screen.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Friday Night Lights Directed by Peter Berg is probably at the top of list.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I think FilmFreeway is great tool for filmmakers to submit films to festivals. It is a lot easier than mailing screeners.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I have no idea. Right now, I am listening to a lot of Chill Hop. Does that count?
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am continuing to enhance my skills as a filmmaker and content creator. My next film project has yet to find me at this point.