THE INTERVIEW was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the March 2020 Comedy Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Alan Brennan: Long time listener, first time caller.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Way way too long. Years. Slow, long years.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had a nightmare in post production. Pretty much everything that could have gone wrong did.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was great – always nice to get positive feedback!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
First lesson of writing is to write about what you know. I know hangovers.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Wow, I’ve never really thought about this before. I want to say something like La Grande Belleza, or Vertigo, or a PT Anderson film. But I guess it’s got to be one of those films I watched on repeat as a kid. Something like Star Wars, or Rocky, or the Karate Kid…Okay, now I’m embarrassed – Rocky 4 may be the film I’ve seen the most in my life.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are your feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
The ease of use is great, the infinite number of festivals is overwhelming.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Probably something by the highly talented Rhob Cunningham, a good friend of mine whose music I stole for the closing credits of the film.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We’re currently working on a breathtaking, ground-breaking, and genre-defying feature film.