Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Anthony Catino: It’s about a dying man who travels to the edge of the universe to visit a brothel staffed with alien sex workers who provide extraordinary services, both real and imaginary, so he can end his life with the help of his wife. The twist is his wife has been dead for a very long time.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
The concept is thriller but the only genre it could be written in is Sci-Fi in order to achieve the emotional and visual effects it needed.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I wrote this short in Sci-Fi with the goal of seeing it made into a 100% CGI short similar to those on Love, Death & Robots.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Godfather, but now tied with the Matrix.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
It took a Saturday and Sunday to write but the concept had been in my head for at least a month before I sat down and cranked it out.
7. How many stories have you written?
5 Shorts, 4 features, a crime comedy about finished then a unique zombie comedy that already has interest as a treatment and a TV series in the works.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Most listened to is a toss up. “Every Little Thing She Does” by the Police and “You Wreck Me” by Tom Petty. Love found, love lost. Either one will get the blood pumping and great lyrics. No, I’m not old… just love really great songs with great lyrics… doesn’t matter what decade.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
No obstacles at all however your judge requested to kick up the tension during their escape and it really propelled the story forward. The notes were great and the rewrite made it much better. Please post that version!
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Health and fitness. I’m in the gym at least 4-5 days a week to reset the brain.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site
FilmFreeway makes entering contests easy. Just a few clicks and you’re done. Uploading is simple and to change out scripts for rewrites is easy.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I don’t write Sci-Fi, I write thrillers so I was hesitant to enter it in any contest really. Especially it was my first foray into Sci-Fi. I really like the story and feedback from peers urged me to enter it in contests. Yours was the first and I like the festival’s approach and concept.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
A dying man travels to the edge of the universe to visit a brothel staffed with alien sex workers who provide extraordinary services, both real and imaginary, so he can end his life with the help of his wife.
Nuralla: Christina Leonard
Commander: Aaron Maxwell
Narration: Sean Ballantyne
Hogur: Carina Cojeen
Jaze: Aaron Williams
Dex: Geoff Mays