Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Christian Frosio: The theme of the song is a subject dear to me. During the recording music session, I started to write the storyboard of the video clip and to imagine the related scenes. It was a natural process. The idea was to reinforce the message of the song through a visual dimension that would have been strongly reflective and impactful.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took a month of work, with me and Michele Bernardi working on the realization of the idea. It was a two-man job involving exchange of opinions on daily basis. We established a very good artistic collaboration. Many of the scenes were filmed by me with my smartphone, with him turning them into animation.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
Briefly: dreamlike, hopeful.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We did not want to deliver the main message of the song (the end of life) to the audience in a tough and straight manner. We all lose someone dear to us sooner or later, and the song is trying to put the overall context with a message of hope.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very grateful by seeing people listening carefully to the music video, being open and honest when sharing their interpretation and understanding of the music and video clip. Seeing people interested at your work, that is one of the best thing for an artist and I am very happy about this experience.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The song are based on a true experience I faced for a person dear to me. The creation of the video clip came together as a consequence. The initial idea was to make the video with real images of an hospital, but I thought that was not what I wanted to bring to the audience, because I wanted to keep to some extent the imagination and dreamlike atmosphere of the music.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
“Legends of the Fall”. But also ” Das cabinet des Dr. Caligari”. You can see a reference to the second one, in my video clip “La Nostra Casa “. You can find it on my Youtube Channel.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is a nice platforms, easy to use in the submission of your work, finding festivals, uploading your projects.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
“Let it down” Radiohead, but also the songs of the Lucio Battisti’s LP “Anima Latina”.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have an outgoing album entitled “Mille Direzioni” and a new music video “Anime Leggere”. Now I am working on a new video clip.
I am a songwriter and the director of my music videos. I am very attached to the video aspect, because I can express the meanings of music through the visual language, trying to create a very strong connection between the two aspects.