Matthew Toffolo: What is your Pilot about?
Lizanne Southgate: Lana, a teenager in a post apocalyptic world evades monsters and human predators as she searches for her missing sister, aided by a brain damaged Veteran, a grumpy dog and Lana’s own irrepressible sense of humor.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Young adult science fiction dramedy
3. Why should this pilot be made into a series?
To watch a young woman struggle with the loss of an old world and her efforts to create a better one.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
What to Do in Case of Fire.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Including the short story I wrote and based this pilot upon, about a year.
7. How many stories have you written?
Short stories, books, pilots, screenplays, poems… MANY!
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Maintaining a balance between Lana’s stream of consciousness humor and her bleak surroundings.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Nature, social justice, search and rescue dogs.
11. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings
on the initial feedback you received?
I liked the idea of having a scene read by actors. The feedback was insightful and useful.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
NARRATION – Marcus Bernacci
Lana – Rebecca MacDonald