Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Mila Johansen: Manifest (The Artist) is about Kate who paints her dream home in art class. Not only a talented artist, Kate is an experienced dreamer. This script was written to remind everyone to keep on daydreaming. May all your good dreams come true.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
To inspire others to make their dreams into reality. I actually have a full length version with an artist, composer and an actor who all help Dr. Spence realize his own dreams.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Wizard of OZ
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I wrote it in one hour after daydreaming it the day before. But it took 8 hours to clean it up.
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
Color my World by Chicago
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
None. It just flowed onto the page.
10. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your
experiences working with the submission platform site?
I think it is very organized and makes it easy to submit our screenplays. It is very comprehensive.
11. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings
on the initial feedback you received?
I was intrigued by the idea of having it read out loud or performed.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
As Kate paints her dream home, room by room—page by page in art class, her reality begins to shift. Kate’s therapist praises her art and encourages her aspirations of becoming a famous artist and someday teaching art herself. One day, Kate returns to her humble cottage to find the key fitting into a new front door—her dream home!
Narrator: Carina Cojeen
Dr. Spence: Kaleb Alexander
Mother: Natalie Morgan
Kate: Barb Scheffler