Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
A.W. Lucas: Barbara Buttrick Smith and her journey to become the world’s first female bantamweight boxing champion and the challenges she faced outside the ring with the misogyny of the 1950s.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Biopic, drama, sports.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Barbaras story deserves to be told. With so many people of all genders still struggling with adversity this story will inspire them to keep on keeping on.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
The Princess Bride
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Almost 2 years
7. How many stories have you written?
Several shorts and an unfinished novel.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the
most times in your life?)
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Learning how to write a screenplay.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Guitars and motorcycles
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Very well so far. It’s easy to navigate and use.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings
on the initial feedback you received?
There are so many festivals and my research showed that this festival is a great chance to showcase new work. I’ve always been grateful for all feedback I receive. Even the absolute worse feedback will still benefit the final piece and I’ve never seen negative feedback as anything bad or personal. It has all made my work better.
Watch Screenplay Reading:
Logline: The true story of Barbara “The Mighty Atom” Buttrick-Smith,
and her journey to become the first female World Bantamweight Boxing
Champion while fighting the misogyny of the 1950’s
Narration – STEVEN HOLMBERG
Barbara – 8 – KATELYN VARADI
Ivy – 7 – DELPHINE ROUSSEL