THE ARTIST played to rave reviews at the August 2019 Documentary Short Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Mark Garcia: I first met Mauro while running a camera on his first film he directed titled, The Recall. One day just Mauro and I went to grab some night shots and during the hour long drive to the location Mauro started telling me about his history as a concept artist and all the work he had created. I was SHOCKED to hear all the incredible works he had created for Major Motion Pictures and couldn’t believe one man had created all these pieces from his imagination. I knew from that conversation I wanted to interview him and create a piece to share with the world. It is the first time I was completely happy to be stuck in awful LA traffic so I could just listen to all the fascinating stories Mauro was sharing with me during the drive.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From shooting to final edit took about a month but it was over a year from the time he shared his stories with me to the short being produced.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was making sure I created a piece that Mauro would be happy with. I wanted to make it ALL about Mauro and make sure the edit was organic with the content we shot. I wanted the audience to TRULY feel they were in the Mauro’s creative studio just as I was during the filming.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The audience feedback video was AWESOME! It was incredible to see people in a movie theatre in Toronto watching THE Artist. I saw smiles and people fully engaged in the piece. I heard a couple people refer to it as “beautiful” and that made me feel incredible because Mauro, his work and his creative genius is nothing short of beautiful. Thank you for screening the film and the awesome people of Toronto for viewing it. BTW Go Raptors!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I just wanted to interview Mauro and see where it would take us.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That’s a tough but good question. Hmmm I would have to say Goonies, Inception, Gladiator, Sixteen Candles, Jaws, Rocky IV, Top Gun.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
FilmFreeway is INCREDIBLE! It is actually a fun platform where you can easily pick the festivals and submit. Whoever created the platform is genius!
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I am a big Eminem and Lil Wayne fan so the song, “No Love” is easily one of my favorites! It has been on repeat for YEARS! lol
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I have a couple short docs in the making. Check back with me in about 2 months and I will let you know. ;). And again so much thanks and appreciation to you, The Documentary Short Film Festival, Toronto and the people of Toronto! I am truly honored and blessed! Thank YOU!