THE DUCHESS played to rave reviews at the February 2019 Experimental Film Festival in Los Angeles.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Marco De Ornellas: Every story comes from a different inspiration. This film was born after I did a photoshoot for a brand at a bar in Harlem, NY. The bar had an energy about it that reminded me of the hotel in the movie “The Shinning”. At that moment on I could see the movie in my mind. And if you’re wondering, yes, its the bar in the actual movie.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
Production took about a month. I worked with a great team that helped me to speed things and bring my idea to reality.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
As an independent producer and filmmaker it is always challenging to make a film. The biggest challenge for this one was the editing and scoring. The film is filled with symbolism and visual metaphors, so finding the film’s rhythm while building the narrative was a fun obstacle to work with.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
To smile. I was taken by a feeling of fulfillment and happiness, specially when someone said my work reminded a David Lynch film. He is a massive inspiration to me as a filmmaker. I am honored for the comparing.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Initially the location inspired me, then the film came in a dream. I meditated on the idea and the visuals started filling my consciousness.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Should I start a list? haha I have lost track how many times I’ve seen “Lord of the rings”, “Legends of the fall” and “The dark knight”… Big time favorites are “Streetcar named desire” and “rebel without a cause”.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is really great. Makes the filmmaker life easier.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
That’s a hard question. Normally the music changes accordingly to the moment I’m living. I grew up listening to Elvis so its safe to say that rock n roll runs deep in my blood.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, I am currently shooting two productions, my newest fashion film titled “Son of the Wild” (working title), and a documentary film which subject is environmental awareness and sustainability through the point of view of native cultures.