Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Paige Brien: Burden of the Blood Moon is a contained horror film with a strong female lead and supporting roles. Based in the 70’s with 3-4 locations.
Bartender, JOE (30’s), establishes herself in a small town to start a new life in the 1970’s. When MARA (20’s) shows up at Joe’s bar during the blood moon, she brings all the demons from Joe’s past with her.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I began outlining this story during the ‘Me Too’ movement and the Kavanaugh trials. Witch hunts have been occurring for hundreds of years and still continue to this very day. This movie should be made as a reminder of how society continues to quiet women and the sacrifices we make to keep our sisterhood safe. This film has a very strong female cast, which is rare and much needed.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Poignant & Daring
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
Too many to count, I have been writing all my life.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
‘Painted Black’ By. The Rolling Stones
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Describing The Monster in this film was the biggest challenge, I still feel I didn’t do it justice in words. I think when my FX person begins to build it from my imagination, that is when I can find the exact words.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Storytelling in all mediums; film making, painting, animation and music videos.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Excellent! I prefer them to the previous hub ‘Without a Box’.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I have entered before and had a great reading from another film.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Lynn: Carina Cojeen
Max: Amber Copeland
Narration: Shawn Devlin
Joe: Anne McMaster
Mara: Avelyn Grey