Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Tara C. Hall: Women & Children First is about a true crime writer who lives in constant fear after a random, brutal attack. Her worst fears are realized when three men break into her house intent on killing her and her children, then her thirteen year old daughter and ten year old son have to decide whether to use their survival instincts to escape or stay and save their mother.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Thriller, Horror, and Drama.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
There are plenty of home invasion thrillers out there. What I want to do with this film is draw attention to the reality that victims of violent crime are disporportionately women and children.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Harold and Maude.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
About 9 or 10 months.
7. How many stories have you written?
Upward of 30.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
This Will Be Our Year by The Zombies.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Work, kids, a lack of money. The usual life stuff.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Filmmaking and sketch comedy.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I love FilmFreeway. It’s user friendly and I’ve found some great film festivals and screenplay competitions.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I’ve entered the Female Film Festival before and appreciate the detailed and thoughtful feedback.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
After surviving a brutal, attack, a single mother raises her two children to be hyper-vigilant at the cost of their childhood and her sanity. But when three armed men break into their home with violent intentions, the children use their training to save their mother.
Rand: Kirk Gordon
Charlie: Jarrod Terrill
Desmond: Rhys Harrison
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Aubrey: Rachel Salsberg
Nora: Nancy Kenny
Alana: Gauri Prasad