Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Helen Marsh: Alice Through the Microscope follows an insect obsessed girl trying to win the science fair amidst an absentee mother and a fungal monstrosity of a foster mother.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Dark Fantasy/ Sci-fi
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
Alice Through the Microscope should be made into a movie because although it’s set in a dark, uncanny universe (like The series of Unfortunate Events) it tackles real issues in mother-daughter relationships and follows a girl who is looking for parental love.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Eerie yet heartfelt
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
3 screenplays but an uncountable amount of stories.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Other People by LP
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Countless Friday and Saturday nights at home with Final Draft instead of out with friends.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Painting, animals, watching movies, hiking
11. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
As a girl, it is not always easy to find representation in the film industry. Female Film Festival was the first festival to promote my work to the public. The feedback was extremely helpful and encouraged me to write consecutive drafts.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
Horror, Science Fiction, Fantasy
An insect-obsessed preteen girl struggles to create a great science fair project amidst an absentee mother, a relentless bully, and a fungal monstrosity of a foster mother.
Narrator: Jarrod Terrill
Mikey: Rhys Harrison
Frankie: Gauri Prasad
Narrator: Elizabeth Rose Morriss
Alice: Rachel Salsberg
Claudia: Nancy Kenny