THE DOOR was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the November 2018 Thriller/Suspense Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Lola Rùi: Show the story you want to tell is always the main engine to make a film. The starting point was to think about experiences of conflict that someone could face in this complex world, in this case leading to the feelings of the character that James Augustus Lee plays in the film, situation with which we could feel identified sometime in our lives.
2. From the idea to the finish product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took around two months. A few days after a phone conversation sharing the idea with the other writer (James Augustus Lee), I took a plane from Madrid to New York, and I was there for two weeks to finish the script, make rehearsals and finding the team for shooting. Then I went back to Madrid for the post- production, which took us a month and a half
3. How you would describe your Short Film in two words!?
Uncertainly and conflict.
4. What was the biggest obstacle You faced in completing this film?
Well, one of the biggest obstacles was the language. Not long ago I started learning to speak English , so communication with the rest of the team was one of the challenges I had to overcome. And of course, directing and acting at the same time required a lot of energy and concentration. However, when you put passion in what you do barriers disappear, and so it was.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was an interesting experience to see how the audience receive the message of the film in different ways depending on their own vision or circumstances, showing that the art is always alive. I love this.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The idea came from a phone conversation between James Augustus lee and I. We was speaking about how sometimes people are unable to face their own fears so the fear take over then all their lives. So we decided to make a film of it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is a platform that really works good. They are very professional offering the filmmakers all the information about Film Festivals for submission and the timeliness of communication is fine. In addition, the platform interface is intuitive and friendly.
It is my first short film as a director and therefore the first time I have to manage with a platform like this and It has been quite easy with FilmFreeway.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
The songs of Camarón de la Isla, Legend of Flamenco.
I don’t have an specific song that I listen continuosly… but if I have to choose one, I would go to Nana del Caballo Grande (big horse lullaby)
10. What is next for you? A new film?
A new Short Film that is planned to be shot very soon in Madrid.