Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Rodgers Wilson: My screenplay is about the life of the first Black female physician in Louisiana. She faces racism and discrimination. My story is based on true events.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
This is a drama with periods of sadness and happiness.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
This is story is about a woman(person) in the early 20th century that had to face incredible obstacles in a time when life was not easy for black women. This is a hero’s journey for a person that had to use her own emotional and professional skills to survive in a cruel world. Somehow, she endures and prevails.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
“Dune” and “Pride and Prejudice”
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song?
“I Wlll Survive” by Gloria Gaynor
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Creole cooking and spending time with my friends.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
It has been very positive.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival?
It is efficient method to market your work.
What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
It was useful.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
The story is inspired by truth events. The first Black female physician completed training in 1905 and starts to practice in a small town in Louisiana. She combats racism,gender discrimination, family struggles and love. By the end of her life, she achieves resolution.
Narration – Sydney Addison-Rudat
Dean Francois – Russell Batcher
Ella – Vanessa Burns