MR. NICE GIRLS played to rave reviews at the September 2018 COMEDY Feedback Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Hope Carew & Allison O’Conor: We are real-life best friends who love making comedy. We make each other laugh constantly, so it felt natural to write something together. What started as stand-alone scenes about parties we’d been to eventually turned into Mr. Nice Girls.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From the idea to the finished product, we made our 6 episode web series in about eight months.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Neither of us had ever directed a film project before. Navigating co-directing with two first-timers was definitely a learning experience.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We were pleased with the feedback! We’re glad folks enjoyed the montages and love the idea of Hope and Allison having to run from a train.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video of the Short Film:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
We thought our characters should run a business together, to give them a shared motivation and an impetus for hijinks. Hope’s mom actually sold fake ID’s in college, so she was our inspiration.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Allison: Honestly it’s probably Hercules. Or Joe Wright’s Pride and Prejudice.
Hope: The Sound of Music!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
We have no qualms with FilmFreeway. The festival submission process definitely gave us college application flashbacks, though.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Allison: Sorry by Justin Bieber.
Hope: Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride from the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We’re writing Mr. Nice Girls as a half hour pilot right now! Individually, Hope is in the process of editing her first short film and Allison has been working on her second web series, The Very Hot Show, which can be found online now.