CLOUD COVER was the winner of BEST MUSIC at the September 2018 Experimental Feedback Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Luma Oquendo: The singer is a friend of mine. She ask me to direct the music video. And for me, it is a pleasure to talk about Brazilian culture and religion. The music cached me by the rhythm and theme. Thus I was very excited to create something together with the musicians.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
In this specific case it took less the a month. The musicians had the idea of shooting in this place. Once I entered there, the only think I could think was How to use all this place in one single film, the place is completely connected to the music. We decided for going to an single shot or making it 360, but we think 360 could not work for the specific public. So, after that we just set up the schedule and shoot in one day.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
After decided for one single shot we needed to find out one way to have a cut. We couldn’t shoot the entire scene because on of the musicians change clothes and have complex make up work. It took time to decide how cut it.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Surprised. I had no idea that there would be an discussion about the movie. It is really very interesting. It is really amazing to see people not connected specific with Brazilian culture talk about it, and notice how it reaches each one in a different way.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Limelight – Charles Chaplin
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Very positive. It helps a lot. In 2011 I had some movies finished to send to some festivals and the big majority of them ask copies in DVD and printed pictures. We spend lot of moneys and long days working on it. The platforms like Filmfreeway helps a lot.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I really cannot remember one single music but for sure the rhythm that I listen to most is Samba, a Brazilian style that comes from África.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Now I came to Prague to specialize in Cinematography at Prague Film School. 1-year program. But the idea is after that come back and continue the project streetartists.tv that gave me the opportunity to shot SARAVÁ.