HALLOWSTIDE played to rave reviews at the September 2018 Under 5 Minute Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Steve Socki: Want to create moving paintings with visual interest.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Compositing thousands of layers in After Effects
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Fascinating to hear variety of experiences.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Visual development developed from watercolor sketches of tidepools. Inspiration and spark from poetry of Wallace Stevens. Visual motion from teaching demonstrations I do for my animation mechanics class.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Norman McLaren’s “Blinkity Blank”
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
This is the best service, by far. They are the most organized, and offer the best site navigation.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Mozart’s “La ci darem la mano” from “The Marriage of Figaro;” at least, that is the melody most stuck in my head
10. What is next for you? A new film?
New animation called “Enfold.” Developing visuals from studies of Baroque Masters’ treatment of clothing on figures. Motion tests of cloth blowing in the wind. Poetry of William Carlos Williams.