Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Christianne Charles: Cake is about forbidden young love and the lessons life teaches you. Fate reunites the two leading ladies in an unexpected reunion years later. This unexpected reunion proves once you’ve loved someone you never truly forget that person.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
LGBT, Romance, Women, Drama
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I believe it should be made into a movie as it is family friendly and tugs on the heartstrings.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
Modern , family
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
There are plenty. It’s hard to name just one.
It’s funny if I turn on the TV, there’s usually just the right one to represent my mood. When it’s been bad, Scarface or White Heat ends up being on. Crazy coincidence.
Otherwise, I’d say pre-code films with Barbara Stainwyck or Bette Davis.
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
On and off for a year
7. How many stories have you written?
Many, many stories
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I love 90’s R&B. I’d say anything early Mary J Blige. I really enjoy her My Life Album.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Maintaining my self confidence, writer’s block, facing the learning process as a new screenwriter.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I enjoy foreign films, old black and white movies, and yoga.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Very positive, easy to use, accessible, excellent feedback, reasonable fees for contest submissions.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I was looking for the right festival to possibly showcase my work and or gain feedback. There are many excellent festivals. I wanted to find one which was conducive to my growth as a writer that I could build a relationship/network.
I thought the feedback was extremely thorough and also presented in a positive light. Encouraging.
Christina Cole and Lauren Simon Willis were roommates and best friends. They have a love affair and the depth of Lauren’s feelings for Christina terrify her. In denial and afraid, Lauren decides to deny her heart and has a relationship with a man. She marries Peter Willis once she discovers she is pregnant. Feeling rejected and heartbroken, Christina drops out of college and switches to another university. Over ten years later, the ladies come face to face.
Narration – Georgia Grant
Lauren (40s) – 9 – Regan Brown
Tabby (20s) – 10 – Ariel Brooker