Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
John McCarney: About the heroic efforts of ordinary people, risking their lives to save discarded mix raced orphans in collapsing war torn Vietnam.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
That we repeat history….To remember that the children that are at the center of debates we have today about immigration, are innocent victims of policies, like those before them, not well thought out resulting in potential horrible consequences for the children.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
7. How many stories have you written?
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Thunder Road- Bruce Springsteen.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Constantly learning the craft. Staying focused to the through line of the story-(it’s about the babies). Eliminating “my darlings” so the story became the one driving engine.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Staying in shape, music and enjoying the outdoors. My rewrite sessions usually includes all these combined, via long, fast walks, listening to music and jotting down notes as clarity comes to me as I walk.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
Absolutely the best. The ability to upload new drafts, receiving notifications that are posted from festivals and being able to submit to any festival worldwide with the click of a button makes it the easiest to use by far.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
The chance to hear actors read the word on the page is so helpful to refine dialogue. I also love feedback. So I read all the feedback and apply where I think it is appropriate.
Genre: Action, History
In an intertwining story based on true events, three very different men desperately save as many babies from war-torn Vietnam as they can.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.