Matthew Toffolo: What is your screenplay about?
Jean Barker: A teenage first love, between two girls, one of whom breaks into a cult’s garden to save the other.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Fantasy and coming of age, and mostly drama.
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It’s low budget and high stakes, driven by emotion.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Clueless (but not on purpose). Y Tu Mama Tambien (on purpose).
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
About two years, but on and off. I have a lot of projects going.
7. How many stories have you written?
About five screenplays, one bad novel, and dozens of others short stories, feature articles, and columns.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?).
My favorite song changes every month or two but right now it’s this Nakhane “Fog”. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_FsizrKBio
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
It’s the kind of story that can be adjusted around its central concept, so I’ve rewritten it based on potential talent as well as for notes a few times. I’m currently rewriting it set in South Africa, with the cult consisting of Americans and the invader and love interest South African.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Directing, music and photography
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
There are a ton of competitions and festivals that don’t mean anything, but on the whole it works well. It’s just cost me a lot in payment for fake festivals that don’t even reject me. I’m wiser, now.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I feel any feedback is better than none, so that’s why I picked this one. I also think having your project read out loud by actors is very useful. My initial feelings were defensive because the reader mentioned or referred to certain “rules” (there aren’t really any) regarding style. That said, much of the feedback was useful and has now been incorporated. Thank you!
Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Romance
A teenage girl who grew up in a cult based on the biblical myth of Eden falls in love with an intruder from the sinful world outside the garden walls.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.