WEEKEND WARRIOR played to rave reviews at the August 2018 DOCUMENTARY FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Jonathan Harris: I like to make films about activities that people don’t normally get the chance to be involved in. Adventure and action sports have always enthralled me so I want to get a viewpoint from someone who puts in the time and effort to build the skills necessary to do these amazing stunts.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took about a year to complete although it could have been done much faster. I was just working on weekends and in my free time. It took about 3 trips to the course to film the stunts, plus 1 interview session.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Managing all of the logistics and technical aspects was a bit of a challenge as I was working solo for most of the project.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was excited to see the audience’s enthusiasm about the film. I felt like I got a lot of the reaction that I was hoping for. When I create a project such as this, the last thing I want is for people to be bored because they feel like it’s something they’ve already seen a hundred times.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I always keep my eye out for interesting and adventurous projects so when I met Trey and saw his setup I immediately knew that I had to turn that into a film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That’s a hard one since there is so much new content coming out these days. It would probably be one of the LOTR films.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Submission was very easy and strait forward. I had no problems at all.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Can’t Stop by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m always looking for interesting people and activities to make documentary short films about. I don’t have anything specific planned at the moment but have a few ideas for a free-diving and spearfishing film.
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.