1. What is your screenplay about?
A young waitress discovers that she is the last in an ancient line of Demon Killers and Hell Gate Closers, as a portal to hell opens under City Hall. Worse, legend holds that this warrior of the Light always dies. M is a New York City waitress, but this may be asking too much.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Urban Fantasy, Horror, Supernatural Action, Female Hero, Asian Martial Arts
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
M’s journey of blood and loss to become a demon killer and fulfill her destiny mirrors every person’s battle to overcome their own fears to fully become everything they can be in the world. Also this story has big international appeal with an Asian heroine and her loyal hell hound, Native American demons and classical Chinese demons, plus settings in New York City and China. The next two stories are completed: M in the Empire of the Dead – set in NYC, China, Paris and its catacombs; M and the Last Hell gate – set in NYC, China and the High Plateau of Tibet.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Ghost in the Shell, Dir. Mamoru Oshii, writer Shirow Masamune
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
4yrs+ for the script and the 3 ‘M’ books
7. How many stories have you written?
Many. M – Demon Killer is based on the first book of the completed M in the Demon Realm Trilogy avail. Amazon/Kindle. Assorted shorts, pitches, screenplays and stories.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
RISE by Origa from the Ghost in the Shell series theme. Japanese composer, lyrics in Russian and English, sung by a Russian soprano.
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Other than life, the city, and my job, it was me. I was afraid about not doing justice to these great characters, particularly M, who showed up to have their amazing story told. I had to overcome my harsh inner critic, let the characters show me and just write it anyway.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Family, friends, mythology, religion, the supernatural, action movies like Deadpool, Underworld; early films like Nosferatu, Vampyr and Metropolis; classic Japanese horror movies like Ringu and Ju-on. Korean films such as Old Boy and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; noir detective fiction, cyber-punk fiction, urban fantasy; working out and classical dance. Currently, I’m crazy about Lawrence Kasdan’s script for Raiders of the Lost Ark. Caffeine, sugar and carbs are an abiding passion.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
FilmFreeway makes submissions effortless.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
That it’s specifically a Fantasy festival and international in scope. The feedback I received was incredibly thoughtful and clear.
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy
A young Asian waitress discovers she is the last in a long line of Demon Killers when a billionaire/sorcerer opens a portal to Hell under City Hall in New York City. Local Native American demons hunt in the tunnels and, even more strangely, powerful Chinese warrior demons are sent to slaughter her before she can stop the invasion from hell. M is a New York City waitress but this may be asking too much.