BREAK ROOM was the winner of BEST FILM at the May 2018 ACTION/THRILLER FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto.
What motivated you to make this film?
I love fight films, strong female protagonists, and fantasize about a world where people might actually have to back up their opinions with physicality in general so it was an easy decision to make the film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
We went through a few drafts of writing, then casting, rehearsal, shooting, and post. The actual shoot was over two, break neck days, but probably four months of work in total.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Trying to complete an enjoyable short with a VERY limited budget. Cast and crew were all volunteers.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Twofold. A film fan, I think the idea of the audience being able to participate is great. In fact, debating films is one of the joys of movie-going. On the other hand, as a filmmaker, you learn to consider the source and be very selective on what criticisms to listen to. Otherwise, you’d never put anything out there ☺. All in all, I thought the curator very intelligent and understood the film well.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK of the Short Film:
5. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The initial idea came from a real life experience where during a martial arts training session, two of the participants showed up injured. Both happened to be teachers and the light bulb went off in my head.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’m actually not a fan of watching a movie too many times. I like to enjoy the initial feelings I get from the early experience and hold onto those. If a movie inspires me, I’ll then break it down scene by scene to learn. If I HAD to choose, I’ve probably watch Jesus Christ Superstar the most since childhood.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
Our producer actually took care of festival submissions and I’ve only heard good things!
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Depends on my mood, I’m a pretty wired individual so I like mellow music during my downtime. Again, if I have to say what’s been on repeat most lately during my working hours is House of the Rising Sun remake by Five Finger Death Punch.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We are currently finishing a feature length documentary so the narrative work is on hold. However, we have three fight films roughed out and awaiting attention ☺
Interviewer Matthew Toffolo is currently the CEO of the WILDsound FEEDBACK Film & Writing Festival. The festival that showcases 20-50 screenplay and story readings performed by professional actors every single month. And the FEEDBACK Monthly Festival held in downtown Toronto, and Los Angeles at least 3 times a month. Go to http://www.wildsoundfestival.com for more information and to submit your work to the festival.