TOO SOON? played to rave reviews at the January 2018 COMEDY FEEDBACK Film Festival in Toronto.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?/ 6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Natalie Neagle & Sally Samad: We’re big fans of satirical comedy and after discussing various ridiculous predicaments, the idea of political correctness in this situation felt worth exploring from a comic perspective.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
It took very little time to write the script itself. Filming took a couple of hours, but editing took longer as we wanted to make sure the timing was right, and we had to email the cameraman back and forth regarding the frames we wanted to use and the cuts we wanted made. We also needed to schedule times which worked for both of us individually and the cameraman, so it it took about 6 weeks.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The cameraman’s availability and the editing process being via email.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We were really grateful to be included in the line-up and delighted that the feedback was so generous. We were really pleased that the audience seemed very much to interpret the film from the perspective from which it was written.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Sally’s answer: The Little Mermaid, because I was obsessed with is as a child and apparently watched it every day for about a year. Bet my parents LOVED that.
Natalie is unable to answer because she is too busy laughing at Sally’s answer to be able to respond.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the new(ish) submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
We released our first filmed sketch at the end of 2016, so we felt pretty spoilt to be able to instantly use this platform. It’s a fast and easy way to enter international film festivals and we only have positive feedback for, and experiences with, FilmFreeway.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Sally’s answer: Don’t Play That Song by Aretha Franklin, because firstly she is the queen, and secondly, I needed to learn it so it was on constant autoplay in my house.
Natalie’s answer: Any song that isn’t, Don’t Play That Song after hearing it on constant autoplay…
10. What is next for you? A new film?
We have 4/5 sketches which we will be filming over the next 6 months, and then the plan is to focus on developing a sitcom pilot.