Nikodem Rautszko’s short film DE GLACE was the winner of BEST FILM at the December 2017 Los Angeles FEEDBACK Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Nikodem Rautszko: At first, I wanted to make a film in an ice rink at night. The ice rink of my childhood inspired me. It was dark, it was gloomy. I wanted to talk about an emotion (the fear of being alone, without help, in indifference), and a hard social reality, but in a different, original way; that the public feels a emotion before understanding it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
This short film was prepared and shot very quickly. I wrote the script in early December 2016, prepared in two months, and shot in late January 2017. Then post production took 2 months. The film was ready in March 2017, 4 months in total.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
cold and dark
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had to shot a second night because it lacked images for the logic of storytelling, and the machine that was cleaning the ice broke down. So we had to clean the entire rink by hand the second night of filming. Time management has also been very complicated.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
The feedbacks are always very interesting on this film, because everyone brings his interpretation, and that’s what I like.
I’m always surprised and I discover new things I did not know about my own movie. This is the strength of cinema and art in general.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
The vision of a lonely woman in the locker room of an empty ice rink at night. Then I followed the thread.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Fight Club by David Fincher
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the new(ish) submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is a very interesting platform that makes it easy to find festivals that correspond to everyone’s project. It allowed our film to travel a lot.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
May be “I Heard It Through the Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye, or “Last Dayz” by Onyx.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m working on different short videos for the web, and I’m writing my first feature film, a fantastic and social thriller.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video of the Short Film:
|DE GLACE, 6min, France, Drama/Thriller
Directed by RautszkoAt night in an empty skating rink, a young artistic skater launches on the ice, and begins a training. After a bad fall, she finds herself in blood, alone in the middle of the track. Unable to get up, she calls for help, when the ground starts to tremble …CLICK HERE – and see full info and more pics of the film!