COSPLAY: BEHIND THE MASK played to rave reviews at the November 2017 DOCUMENTARY Short Film Festival.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Hendricksen Armand: I was always aware of cosplay as a subculture from an outsiders perspective but it wasn’t until I was fully immersed in it that I began to understand the full scope of what cosplay was. It was vibrant, it was creative, it was technical, and I thought it was a story that needed to be told.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
From conception to completion it took about 9 months to complete. Though I have footage in the film from 2014 of the first convention I ever attended. Which was Supercon in Miami.
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I think trying to coordinate with all the different subjects on the film to tell their stories. Logistically it was a bit challenging because we all had full time jobs including myself. So we had to find a time when we were all available to shoot.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very happy to see how many people appreciated the topics that were covered in the film. I assume some these people have cosplayed or know cosplayers. That really brings me a lot of joy when cosplayers enjoy the film because essentially, I made this for them.
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
I didnt have to come up with anyting really. I discoverd an artistic, vibrant, community and wanted to share it with the world.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’ve seen a lot over the years, but what always comes to mind is The Dark Knight. I could watch that all day.
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the new(ish) submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
I’m a relatively new filmmaker in terms of the submission process so I can’t really comment on how things used to be, but I do find it very convenient to submit films on platforms like FilmFreeway. It allows filmmakers to get their work out there without mailing postage and searching thousands of websites to find festivals.
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
Wow. I can’t say I’ve been keeping track. The song I’ve been listening to the most right now is “Stay” by Hans Zimmer from the Interstellar soundtrack.
10. What is next for you? A new film?
I am currently working on a film at the moment. It’s a project I am very excited about and could perhaps screen at this festival again next year!
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK of the Short Film:
COSPLAY: BEHIND THE MASK, 20min., USA, Documentary/Sci-Fi
Directed by Hendricksen Armand
A look into the life of cosplayers who try to shatter the boundaries of reality by transforming themselves into characters from comic books, TV shows, and movies.
CLICK HERE – and see full info and more pics of the film!
Reblogged this on WILDsound Writing and Film Festival Review.