HOPE IS FRENCH played to rave reviews at the Comedy Feedback Film Festival in September 2019.
Matthew Toffolo: What motivated you to make this film?
Christopher Mack: Cat poop! 🙂 My cat had pooped in the hallway, and it gave me an idea.
And I wanted to have fun and make a film that explored both hope and despair in a kind of silly way.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this short?
I wrote it in September 2018. I got the production together and filmed it in May 2019. The edit was finished at the end of September 2019
3. How would you describe your short film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Time and money. And working with a cat! 🙂
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Fascinated. It is rare and exciting to get a chance to hear what total strangers took from my film. I think it is very valuable to understand how my film is scene.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. How did you come up with the idea for this short film?
Same as answer to one: Cat poop! 🙂 My cat had pooped in the hallway, and it gave me an idea. And I think everyone has had bad days. How we react to the highs and lows is the stuff of high tragedy or great comedy.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
That’s a hard one. The Sweet Hereafter by Atom Egoyan? Blue Velvet? Not sure. There are too many!
8. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway, what are you feelings of the submission platform from a filmmaker’s perspective?
It is an expensive platform, and sometimes there is inconstancy between Filmfreeway and the various festivals, but it is great that it exists!
9. What song have you listened to the most times in your life?
I would think it would be a Johnny Cash song
10. What is next for you? A new film?
Working on several short films! Have a couple of feature film scripts I wrote and I’d love to explore, but I am no good at getting financing!
I am trying to film on a smartphone with an anamorphic lens. Fingers crossed it works.