THE SWITCH, 4min., Canada, Dance
Directed by Thomas Obewu
Unify “The People” and stand for something
It’s time to hit “The Switch” and wake up!!
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The current climate of the world really inspired the whole team to come together to speak to the audience about the systemic injustice.
Our first Production meeting was in July 2021 and the original plan was to shoot a 60 second visualizer with imagery and music alone.
However, we were privileged to meet a highly talented Poet by the name of Potentiellex who shared a similar passion we were portraying in the visualizer
This inspired us to put context to the film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The original idea was birthed in July 2021 following its completion in Fall of 2022.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Timeless & Revolutionary
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was capturing the significance of the message while balancing the visuals to compliment eachother
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
We were blown away by the fact that none of the details in the film went unnoticed. It was apparent that there was an equilibrium between the visual output and the essence of the core message.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I understood I had a light inside me that could not be dimmed by external factors and my principle form of expression was through film.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Black Panther and I’m still not tired of it.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
At this point of my career, Sponsorship, Grants and the right partnerships to get my films seen internationally would be the link to tie it all together.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
The experience was enlightening to learn about the many platforms available for distribution
10. What is your favorite meal?
Jollof Rice, fried fish or Shrimp with plantain and Moi Moi
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Not only working hard but working smart towards perfecting my craft will always arise unique films.