MIND THIEF, 109min,. USA, Documentary
Directed by Matt Steinauer
A novelist realizes that her neighbors may be under the mind control of unknown forces. Little does she realize how close and sinister its influence has become. MIND THIEF is a sci-fi thriller that takes us on a harrowing, sometimes humorous journey through the depths of the human psyche.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
We were interested in doing our own take on the concept of Mind Control. Our intention was to create a movie that could cross genres and was multi-layered—a movie that we ourselves would want to see.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I believe a bit over 2 years.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Logistics and continuity for shooting over an eighteen-month period during Covid.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Very happy with how warm and insightful the feedback was.
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In my early 20’s when I started to realize how many facets there were to filmmaking and was drawn into its magic spell.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Raiders of the Lost Ark
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Agents for everyone!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Very positive. Easy to use.
10. What is your favorite meal?
A tie between leftover lasagna and street tacos.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Writing and developing several things including the sequel to Mind Thief.