SWISH, 5min,. USA, Drama
Directed by Andrew Roland
Two brothers grow up in the sport of basketball, pushing and challenging one another. Until one day, one gets killed. Years after grieving, it drives the remaining brother to keep the standard and work ethic that he and his brother shared.
Get to know the filmmaker:
1. What motivated you to make this film?
It’s loosely based on my life. Ultimately, it’s the story of grief, so I used my life experiences, added my favorite sport and a little drama.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about a month to complete. It was shot over two days.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was time. I initially had plans to do a documentary, but scheduling was off. So I dug deep to craft a new narrative.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My initial reaction was joy. They got exactly what I was trying to portray. And that is, 5 mins is a lot of time if used correctly.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
In the military, when I would take leave to come home, I would document it. I wish I still had the films I made back then. I would say it really picked up after I came home and got involved with making music videos locally. I guess it’s always been in me.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Do The Right Thing by Spike Lee.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
The acknowledgement is more than enough. I’ll be back for another category in the future.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It has been great. It’s an awesome forum to submit your film(s) for multiple festivals in one click.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal is mashed potatoes, preferably w/ chicken and fresh vegetables.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
What’s next for me is a web series. I’m currently writing at the moment, I’m about 3 of 8 episodes in. That will be my next production by Spring or Summer 23.