SUCCUBUS was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the June 2022 HORROR Underground Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The project was motivated by a partially true story I overheard last year. The projects intention explores various definitions of safety as well as power imbalances within bar culture.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From development to completed product, the project took 6 months in total.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
In two words I would describe Succubus as unsettling and melodramatic
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Throughout production, the biggest challenge was the casting process. Luckily, a few days prior to shooting, we were able to lock Sydney Kaplan as our lead actress.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
My initial reaction to the feedback videos was joy! It’s thrilling to see individual reactions and feedback, especially from audience members.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I realized very early on in high school that I wanted to make films. I’ve always been fascinated by storytelling and it’s various mediums.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Ever since I was little, I would obsessively re-watched the same movies. The most recycled titles became: The Lion King, and Percy Jackson & the Olympians. More recently those titles became The Godfather, and The Social Network.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Inclusive elements such as the feedback videos are extremely encouraging. Hosting virtual events as well as promoting independent content is invaluable for up and coming filmmakers everywhere.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
My experience working with the festival platform via film freeway has been extremely pleasant.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My favorite meal right now is a spicy chicken sandwich from the Tiki Bar on 85th and Columbus.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m currently developing my senior thesis film titled, Splinter. Using extreme depictions of body distortion the story provides commentary on the Fashion Industries increasingly marginalized beauty standard.