OLD TIME RADIO was the winner of BEST SHORT FILM at the June 2022 FANTASY/SCI-FI Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Plain and simply, I wanted to see it. The characters in OTR are pulled from the influences that have shaped my professional aesthetic since childhood. I wanted to craft a scenario that pulled tge audience into a more classic, if not retro, horror anthology.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I had the idea in 2017 and got the time to shoot this short in 2020.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The set. I shot this in my basement/wine cellar. The space is quite small and the door leads directly to the outside of the house. Therefore I had to create a “room extension” set piece to sell the idea that the room was in the basement of a house.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Pure joy! I absolutely loved seeing the interviews with the selected audience members. They all understand what I was hoping to convey. A big thank you to all of them!
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I have been working professionally as a makeup effects artist and department head for quite a few years. I decided to step into the director role just to bring my ideas to life the way I envisioned them.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I absolutely love the audience feedback. Yours is the only festival that I’ve seen that from and it was very motivating.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Film freeway has made the submissions process easy and painless. It’s a one stop shop to get your work out.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I’d have to go with sushi on that one.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I actually just finished another Old Time Radio short. I love these characters so I wanted to revisit them. I upped the budget and running time-so far it’s looking good. I hope to share more with you soon.