EMBRACE played to rave reviews at the June 2022 WILDsound Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Self love is a strong word these days when it comes to mental health. Particular when it involves Men and mental health. I have struggled with my own inner journey and I felt that, with this film, others can see themselves in it and recognize their own inner journeys.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about seven years to write the film and a little over a year for the animation and sound design. The concept started when I was in 2014 in my creative writing class, and talking about greek mythology and the underworld, I knew there was something here. With rewrites and redrafts, keeping it simple is the best thing — and that ended up a two page script.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I think it was my patience. Animation is not like live action where you can film it all yourself and see it in the editing room. Animation takes a lot of time and patience to get the shots right, the animation right, and to make sure the visuals line up with each other. With a small team, it does require a lot of work and we are happy that the animation team pulled it off.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was nervous at the beginning but I was quite pleased. The audience have broken down everything that we intended as the message in our film. I was quite nervous that people wouldn’t get it or receive the meanings — and I am very happy we are on track.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was six years old when I watched and cried to Lion King, and I knew that story telling was within me. I didn’t pursue it fully until high school when I took media arts in grade 12, and that was the call in pursuing filmmaking seriously.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
The Dark Knight. I’m a huge Batman fan, and to me it’s a masterpiece. I’m a huge Christoper Nolan fan, and through him I discovered the genre of film noir. For me film noir lines up with how I personally see the world, and I think that’s why I connect to it. Certain parts of Embrace has hints of film noir – themes, characters with hidden motives, this idea of betrayal.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I personally would love to get in touch with Producers or those in the industry to collaborate more on projects. Would love to meet those who love to do film noir or just in genral meeting folks from the industry.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Fantastic, easy communication and I can tell that the love for the films, audience is there to support filmmakers. We’re very lucky to be part of your film festival.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Coffee and Sushi. Maybe both at the same time.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Developing a few features, so I’ve been non-stop writing and collaborating to get it off the ground – and hopefully soon!