1. What is your screenplay about?
The Aviatrix is the story about the famous record-setting pilot, Louise Thaden, and her journey to having the career she wants and raising a family. Through the harrowing dangers of flying in the 1920’s, Louise and her friends fly the first women’s cross-country air race, defying societal boundaries while facing the harsh challenges of flying across the country. Louise and her aviation friends must fight for their chance for aviation careers, in a world where flying simply isn’t ladylike.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
It is an inspiring story about strong women from history that needs to be told. With a theme of resilience in the face of a society that thinks you can’t do certain things because of the way you look, will resonate with many audiences.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
Off and on over the past 4 years.
7. How many stories have you written?
I have written several documentary films and a short film, and I love telling stories of women from history.
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
Train in Vain by The Clash
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Since I was writing this story about real people, there was a lot of research that went into the people and events to tell a story as accurately as possible. I worked with the Granddaughter of Louise Thaden to get her character right and went through many revisions on what events and details that should be included. I also worked with a Producer and screenwriter to get the story into good shape.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
I love movies. I am a Director of documentary, commercials, and short films, so I love telling stories. And I love reading non-fiction historical stories, mostly from WWII.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
We use FilmFreeway often to submit different films that we have produced.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
I wanted to receive feedback on this script, since I’ve been working on it so long and I wanted to get an outside opinion from someone that hasn’t read the script over and over again to see if it was ready to be produced. The notes I received were very positive and I was excited that others were interested in the story I was telling. And the advice given was valid and had good ideas.
Watch the Screenplay Reading:
This story is a well written account of Louise Thaden and her friend’s lives, as well as their trials and tribulations as female pilots in a time when women were expected to submit to their husbands and remain in the kitchen.
Narrator: Sean Ballantyne
Louise: Hannah Ehman
Male Customer/Mr. Turner: Steve Rizzo
Walter: Shawn Devlin
Travel Air Employer: Val Cole