THE SPACE I TAKE UP was the winner of BEST DANCE FILM at the May 2022 EXPERIMENTAL/DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
At the beginning of the pandemic, I completely stopped making art. Around the fall of 2020, I started dreaming up a way to express the isolation and depression we were all collectively feeling. I asked my friend Susie, who danced in the film, if she wanted to collaborate on a project. Her dance work is inspired by her struggle with mental illness, and I thought we could create something meaningful and relatable together.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about 1.5 years with a very limited budget and resources, as well as limited experience with filmmaking for everyone involved.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
colorful and dark
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
My limited experience with filmmaking! There is so much I wish I did differently, that I only learned through trying.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was very cool to hear that everyone really understood the intentions behind every decision we made – from wardrobe, makeup, locations, color scheme, set design, props… We put so much thought into this concept. Despite how abstract the film is, it seems we were able to convey the emotion behind the film. That is a great feeling.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I am primarily a photographer, but I kept having moving images stuck in my head and wanted to try out a new medium!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Either the Wizard of Oz or Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I would love to hear more feedback on how I can improve my filmmaking skills for next time!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It is definitely helpful and easy to find festivals through FilmFreeway.
10. What is your favorite meal?
I’m not sure I have one, but my favorite snack is a good soft pretzel and melted cheese
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am working on new ideas for still photographs as well as releasing an EP with my band.