THE LARK was the winner of BEST LONG FORM SHORT FILM at the May 2022 FEMALE Feedback Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The motivation for this movie with a topic about sexual violence against women was huge, because I come from Serbia, and Serbia is a country with a big level of violence against women. We have a big level of violence because this topic is taboo and no one wants to talk about it. Serbia is in the Balkan and the history education at home was patriarchal, which means women are just at home and she has no right to their opinion and attitude. If a man is rude she has to be silent. From the past till today women in Serbia trying to fight for rights. I decide to talk about this topic to encourage young and old women to say out load problems and stop being silent on violence.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
From my idea to filming and premier after that passed 10 months. First of all, I started to research this topic, after that, we write the screenplay for a long time, and the longest time taken looking for financing, which was the biggest problem.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Definitely, that was financing problems. In Serbia, we don’t have a culture of short movies, and no one wants to finance that kind of film. We menage to get some money, but much more things we got received in exchange for money. For example some camera equipment and food for catering…
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was suppeerr excited and happy because I saw that people from all around the World understand my film and my idea. All of them laud directing, cinematography and acting and that the biggest gift for me.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I realized this when I heard a story about sexual violence against women from my good friend, who was silent about that for a long time. When she said to me I said I will make a movie on this topic, because I know there are a lot of pure, alone girls who are scared to say out loud their sexual experiences.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I have a few movies which I can watch again and again, some of them are Persona by Bergman, 8/5 Fellini and Amelie Jean Pierre.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This is the first time for me to be part of this kind of festival. I’m so delighted with this concept of presenting young filmmakers and their works! Thank you so much for everything
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How have your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It was great, the communication was super fast and nice, and all people from your festival are so kind!
10. What is your favourite meal?
Sarma is a Serbian traditional meal made from sour cabbage and minced meat.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Currently, I’m working as the first assistant director on a new TV series in Series. And also preparing a screenplay for my own first TV Series.