Watch the Short Story Reading.
1. What is your screenplay about?
It’s more of a story I’ve been working on for the last 22 years. It’s an alternate reworking of Belisarius, the famous Byzantine general and what if he was a vampire. He protects a woman who was almost gunned down by an unknown (to her, but to Belisarius) but the relationship is complicated and contentious because she’s tough and independent, and he’s not used to feelings for a human.
2. What genres does your screenplay fall under?
Horror, historical fiction
3. Why should this screenplay be made into a movie?
I envision this more as a limited streaming series, not a movie. I love vampire movies and TV shows but very rarely do I see the heroes of these films/shows as black women (as my other main character is a black woman in her 40s). I’m hoping to change that with my project.
4. How would you describe this script in two words?
5. What movie have you seen the most times in your life?
Quite a few actually, Far From The Madding Crowd, The Crazies, The Fog, Dracula
6. How long have you been working on this screenplay?
I’ve been working on this project since 2000
7. How many stories have you written?
Seven so far, that have been published
8. What is your favorite song? (Or, what song have you listened to the most times in your life?)
I have so many, but the one I tend to have on repeat is Quiet Canal by Atlas Sound
9. What obstacles did you face to finish this screenplay?
Life, mostly. I’ve lost a lot in my life and I try to write as much as I can.
10. Apart from writing, what else are you passionate about?
Social issues, I like to dance, I just started putting together mixes and teaching myself to dj during quarantine.
11. You entered your screenplay via FilmFreeway. What has been your experiences working with the submission platform site?
I’ve worked with Wildsound in the past and the experience has been wonderful.
12. What influenced you to enter the festival? What were your feelings on the initial feedback you received?
Just wanted to put my work in the public for people to see. I really didn’t think my piece would be selected, so this was definitely a surprise for me. I wasn’t expecting to see my story video getting a premiere on YouTube, and the video was so wonderfully put together.