LENNON was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the April 2022 LGBTQ+ Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I have always been interested in making films as I was involved with drama classes growing up. The moment I took the leap was after 2020 when I was in lockdown contemplating my life and future. My father passed away experiencing homelessness 17 years ago and I’ve done homeless advocacy work ever since. After the pandemic hit it occurred to me that not enough stories are being told to help those who are unhoused, especially the continuous misconceptions out there about this community. So I wrote, produced and acting in this short film LENNON. I want to help empower the voices of marginalized groups of people.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took me one month to write the 23 minute short, four months to produce it, three days to film it.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We filmed during a pandemic so just aligning everyone’s schedule, while maintaining Covid 19 protocols was a little tough… but we got through it.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was honored to hear the feedback and to hear people compliment this project while understanding the advocacy within the film was heart warming.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Since I was a kid but again it took life events for me to dive in and just go for it. 2020 truly was an awakening moment for me and it all began with self reflection.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Exposure and continuing film festivals to engage with others in the industry.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Great! I truly find it a blessing to have it all on one site.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Rapini. It’s an Italian vegetable, very much part of Italian culture. My mom makes it best of course.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
YES! I just wrote another short which we plan to film next month.