NASTY played to rave reviews at the March 2022 EXPERIMENTAL Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I made the film for my Experimental Production class in school.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It took about 2.5 years to finish.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Campy and Juicy
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The biggest obstacle was the pandemic. The film was originally on track to be completed by the summer of 2020.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Pure joy! I have been watching this film for 2 years now- it’s all colors, shapes, and chomps to me at this point. Hearing that people understood what I was going for and really appreciated all of the filmic elements from production design, to sound design, to performances, it has really validated the experience my crew and myself had making it.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I have wanted to be a filmmaker since I was little. I remember sitting on the bus ride home from summer camp and telling my friend I wanted to direct and act in my own movies and she said “you can’t do BOTH!” It takes some level of delusion to be an artist, so I guess it all started there, in believing I could do everything despite what people said.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I have probably seen Hairspray (counting both the 1988 and 2007 versions) the greatest number of times.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
By providing feedback and so many platforms for filmmakers to talk about their film, I think you’ve already done an amazing job.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is great, it’s a super easy and conducive way to enter festivals.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Paneer Makhani from Seva Indian Cuisine.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Absolutely! I am currently building up the resources to film the project I was supposed to make during my last semester of school before the pandemic hit. Look out for RocketStarQueen (IG: @rocketstarqueen) in 2023!