PORCH NIGHT was the winner of BEST DIRECTION at the February 2022 BLACK & WHITE Film Festival.
What motivated you to make this film?
I attended a 2 week film residency (Experimental Film Virginia) which focuses on bring filmmakers and dancers together.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I had the idea then took a few days to get cast and locations locked down, then took a day to shoot it, and another day or two to cut it. At this film residency, speed is required!
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
I would say HEAT. Virginia can be pretty toasty in August.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was so happy to see how many people could speak deeply about what they had seen.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was 13 or so, walking out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Probably The Dresser, with Albert Finney. It’s a perfect film.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Oh, just hand me a pile of cash for the next one.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It’s better than the old Withoutabox, certainly, and very easy to work with.
10. What is your favorite meal?
A Bloody Mary.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m starting work on my fourth feature soon, as well as going back to EFV to make another dance film!