EPHÉMEROS was the winner of BEST SOUND & MUSIC at the February 2022 DANCE Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
This dance film was made as my graduation work to attend the academy. Most of the ideas came unconsciously. As I remember the beginning started simply by playing with potato starch. After a while, I remembered one of my old dreams. The dream was vivid and left a strong image to me. It was about my grandmother. She was lying in a wheelbarrow as a baby in the cradle. Suddenly her skin started to drop into wrinkles and she became an old potato and melt into clouds of dust. It was spring at the time when I was generating ideas and it also made an impact. I was inspired by ephemeral flowers which turns out at the time. Also some details such as images of the human body and sculpture as well as some philosophical ideas even the title of the film came from the interest of the ancient cradle of European culture.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was a long journey. The beginning started with the idea to make a dance performance, but later on, it transformed into a film. So, in general, it took around a year for all the process. Most of the time I spent daydreaming, researching, and creating the concept for a film. Filming and postproduction took around three months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
During the filming, we lost one cinema lamp. I thought we not gonna finish the filming that day, but we managed to do that.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was smiling all the time while watching the video. It was something magical for me. It is my first dance film and it was made with an extremely small budget. I still can’t believe that the film was officially selected for the festival and even won a laurel! I enjoyed the video. It was interesting to listen to how people understood the film and how they related to it.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I was about to create a dance performance as my graduation work, but during the process, I changed my mind and made a dance film instead. I found myself thinking about dance through moving images like some kind of paintings that could be seen through the eye of the camera. And also I was fascinated with the idea of magic that cinema can create. I decided to create a dance film and I think it was the best choice. I feel that making dance films is my way of creating so far.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Every year around Christmas time I used to watch all the “Harry Potter” film series. So, I have seen them the most.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I don’t know. It’s my first time taking part in the dance film festival. To be honest, I think that I’ve already got a lot! Thank you for that!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How have your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway is a platform that is comfortable and easy to use. Thanks for the platform I found this festival and had a chance to take part in it.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Varškės sūreliai! It’s sweetened curd snacks covered in chocolate.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
For now, I work as a dancer and have a few upcoming projects as an actor in feature films. I’m going to create another dance film in the future and I’ve already started to generate ideas. Just I don’t want to force it, but take time and let the ideas come.