BALONEY BEACON played at the Feb. 2022 ANIMATION Feedback Film Festival to rave reviews.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I work as a professional balloon twister at parties and other events. Balloon twisting and animation are both hobbies that I have had since childhood. This film was an attempt to combine my two artistic passions in one project.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
The film took about a year and a half to complete with a four month break in the middle.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Balloons are a difficult material to animate with. Since I was not able to use armatures for most of the figures that I built, I had to use a series of external support wires to hold the balloons in place, which then had to be erased from each frame.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was very flattered by the positive response that my film received. It was nice to see and hear people as they were giving me feedback, since I haven’t had much chance to go to film festivals and interact with people lately.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Filmmaking has been a big part of my life ever since I was around 13 years old, when I used to make videos with my friends.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I hope that the festival can be held in person again in the near future.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
FilmFreeway has made applying to festivals fast and easy… perhaps too easy. I almost feel like I’m developing a gambling habit.
10. What is your favorite meal?
A ton of Indian food.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
A friend and I are working on a pilot for an animated series about an advertising mascot that lives in the real world.