BIRTHDAY BOY was the winner of BEST PERFORMANCES at the February 2022 BLACK & WHITE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The story came to me several years ago when reflecting upon my own somewhat troubled childhood. Not so happy then, but great grist for the creative mill now, lol.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
I wrote the script in 2019, but put off filming it until we had a Covid lull in the early Spring of 2021. We shot the film in two full days at that time, and had it edited and scored a month later.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Continuity with the dinner dishes. It was tough to make sure the the clearing of dinner dishes and delivery of desert dishes matched up from take to take.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
It was validating and It energized me even more to keep making films.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I started writing screenplays 11 years ago when I semi-retired from the real world. I had been fortunate enough in my career to afford trying my hand at producing, and took my first stab at in 2013. I’ve been hooked ever since.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. I’ve seen it at least half dozen times over the past 34 years. The humor is right up my alley to this day.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I really like your format, as it provides more exposure for filmmakers than most other platforms. I focus on festivals that offer something like it, OR that offer cash prizes, lol.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
In general, quite good. I’ve run into a few (but very few) festivals whose hype on the site didn’t meet expectations in reality, but otherwise it has been a useful platform that I’ll continue to utilize.
10. What is your favorite meal?
My wife is Lebanese, and a great cook. Hard to pick. But I’ll go with Bazella with rice.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I’m currently in preproduction of a feature film based on one of my scripts; a psychological horror story titled “The Last to Know”. We anticipate shooting in June of 2022.