TUSALIH – A JOUYR TALE was the winner of BEST FILM at the February 2022 DANCE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was contacted by Georgie Salama, who is an incredible young designer from Paris, and she wanted me and the Jayah Studio to make a film around her new collection she was about to drop.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
It was really fast, it took probably a month.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
I would say connection and vulnerability.
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
The deadline was really short and we had a lot of unexpected events but I was lucky to have a great team with me before, on and after the shooting so we could deliver the film like we wanted.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I couldn’t stop smiling for 2 reasons :
– First because it’s a great feeling to hear people talking about a piece of art you were really dedicated, especially when they loved it lol
– Secondly because a lot of their interpretations of my intention in the film were right and this shows me that I was able to communicate the story I wanted to.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I used to be a professional hip hop dancer for many years and that allowed me to have a lot of experiences on amazing sets for music videos or publicity. I think I was attracted in those moments to be behind the camera, to be able to share my vision in another way.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
I’ve seen so many times, so many different films lol. I’m a big fan of adventure movies like Lord of the rings, Troy and also science fiction movies like Dune or Star wars, Blade Runner just to name a few. I love the movies of Christopher Nolan also from Batman to Tenet.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
I would have loved to be able to physically go to some festivals I submited the film, to meet people in real life.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It was great actually. I spent a lot of time choosing the festivals I wanted to participate in and it was the first time for me I was doing this.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Like movies I love so many different meal lol
11. What is next for you? A new film?
We have a lot of different projects to work with Jayah Studio for film and photography projects. I’m currently developing it and showing my work to bigger production to work for the music and fashion industry and one day I hope for publicity.