CRAFT was the winner of BEST ACTION FILM at the December 2021 ACTION/ADVENTURE Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The idea for the film was presented to me by Outdoor Research. But this is also a very personal story for me so it was easy to get excited about it.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
Roughly 10 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We had a very limited budget and a very small crew which is always difficult. The weather is also a challenge when creating anything action sports oriented, but we were very lucky on this project to get good snow and good light for shooting.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Really great. Loved the feedback and appreciate everyone taking the time. I was struck by how much care and thought were presented by the audience. Humbled by the David Lynch comparison.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I got into filmmaking through skiing. I’d watch my favorite ski films and try and replicate them, I did this for years. It wasn’t until I moved to LA in 2017 that I started to pursue it at a more professional level.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Lord of The Rings
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
A more robust and easy-to-navigate website would be helpful. I see this pretty consistently with festivals, a great festival but a website that is lacking or hard to use. Creating a place to showcase our work that is eye-catching is always helpful, plus it motivates us, filmmakers, to direct traffic to the website.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Always quick and easy. A great resource that I will use continuously.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Call me cliche, but a good slice of pizza always hits hard.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I have one film that will be releasing later this year and currently working on the development of another documentary that hopefully will shoot later in 2022.