COCONUT CLUNK was the winner of BEST ANIMATION at the January 2022 SPORTS Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
As quarantine lingered on, my dad and I revisited an idea we had come up with, based on a true story from my childhood. Since on-set collaboration would’ve been impossible, animation emerged as a possible creative solution. The rest, as they say, is history.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About a year, early 2020 into early 2021, from first draft to final animation. Though the idea had been lingering for years prior.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Animation is beautiful but very particular. It is so important to have the story clear in your mind before you put digital pen to digital paper.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Lovely and heartening. It’s so wonderful to have people watching and enjoying our film.
Watch the Audience Feedback Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
As a teenager. I was watching the film L.A. Confidential. There was a climactic shootout and I found myself wondering how they were able to make it look so real. After the film ended, my education began.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
This is a weird answer, but the Disney-version of Peter Pan as a child and the Stanley Kubrick masterpiece Eyes Wide Shut as an adult.
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
There is so much adjustment during this pandemic, so it’s hard to say. I will say the virtual element and its continued improvement has been inclusive and impressive. That said, I look forward to watching my film in a movie theater.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Easy though sometimes overwhelming.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich. Always.
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Yes, there is always the next film. Which one, I have not decided!