DOMESTICITY was the winner of BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY at the November 2021 THRILLER/SUSPENSE Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
I was inspired by seeing Olivia (our lead actress) in a one woman play about Myra Hindley. I found the concept that she is infamous for the awful and violent acts she committed but that they also made up such a small part of her life. What about the rest of her life? We never imagine serial killers doing the laundry and eating toast for breakfast, but they must have done.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
About a year.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Money money money… As always I was too ambitious with my idea and making a period piece is so expensive.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Honestly I was really pleased, the praised all the bits I was happy with and any small criticisms where things that I would have like to improve on. It was great to hear some really insightful and thoughtful comments.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I think while I was at University, prior to that I loved directing theatre and films where something that where made in Hollywood. It was only at University did I realise that people where making films for very little money and being hugely successful doing it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Possibly one of these three – Pulp Fiction, Where Eagles Dare, Stardust
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
This was a brilliant festival and I think you have done an exceptional job – the feedback element is more than most offer and is hugely beneficial.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site? <.b>
Great! No complaints.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
I am hoping to go into production on my next short early next year. This one is about Irish imigrants during the Troubles.