I DON’T WANT HIM EITHER played at the New York FEEDBACK Film Festival in November 2021.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
The DGC BC (Directors Guild of Canada) ran a training weekend and selected 8 directors to film for 2 hours in a volume studio a one page scene. I decided to write “I Don’t Want Him Either” to showcase a 360 shot filmed in this 3 walled studio. It’s the first film I’ve ever written and the fastest I’ve ever shot as we only had 2 hours.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
As mentioned filming was only 2 hours, we found out we were selected (we had to say why we would benefit from this experience) about 10 days before filming. Post took the longest as one editor edited all 8 micro shorts, and then we had finishing sound with a fab composer, so I’d say from idea to totally finished film about 4 months.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
We didn’t know if we could pull off the 360 shot and we only had 2 hours of filming so even if we could pull it off could we then shoot the rest of the scene?
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Huge smile on my face, so grateful they took the time and that they liked it, and would like to see more’
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Kind of always and recently. I always knew I wanted to do theatre or films or tv, originally thought I’d be an actor then in high school was the Assistant Director of the play and loved that. After post secondary school became a multi camera director, then a documentary and reality producer and show creator and then about 5 years ago (less than 3 years ago full time) started pursuing narrative directing – which I love!
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Tie between Jaws and Parasite
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Feedback is awesome, meeting other filmmakers is great
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Just finished directing a TV Movie “A Godwink Christmas: Miracle of Love” that will air on Hallmark Movie & Mystery channel in the US on Dec 11 and here in Canada on W Network on Dec 18. Next year another short, some more movies and hopefully episodic TV!