RENEWABLE was the winner of BEST DANCE FILM at the November 2021 Experimental/Dance/Music Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Our collaborator, ballet.id had noticed a funding opportunity with the British Council Connections through Culture, so we came up with the idea of a dance dialogue between the two artists – Mariska and Marc – captured on a film.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you to make this film?
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Two things – being in different countries and time zones and being interrupted by the pandemic which meant that there was a delay to some of the filming.
The film was created as a dialogue, starting in Scotland with the main footage of Marc dancing being edited down to share with Mariska in Indonesia, who then responded. Both responded to the environments and the renewable energy sources that we used for location. Once all the filming was done, I honed down the footage and my talented editor, Jamie Bradley-Hay, worked their magic to create the final film.
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
I was pleased that the audience enjoyed and understood the work.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
I have been a photographer from a young age, and produced a social documentary – A Dance Explosion – in 2014. It was a great opportunity to share the diversity of dance and environment through this project as a director.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
A Muppet Christmas Carol – I watch it every year!
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
By showcasing the film, you have helped a lot. If the film could be shared with other industry promoters, that would be helpful.
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
It is an easy platform to use.
10. What is your favorite meal?
Thai green vegetable curry
11. What is next for you? A new film?
At the moment I have just finished producing some live shows, for COP26 and to celebrate Diwali. I have a mix of things coming on stream, but will be exploring a new film in the future. Watch this space!