CONTAINED played to rave reviews at the November 2021 WILDsound Film Festival.
1. What motivated you to make this film?
Andy: It’s a story I’ve wanted to tell for a long time, so I wrote a synopsis and was helped by Jake Orton to put the story into script format.It was going to be a graphic novel at first, but quotes for that I got were silly, so l chose to fund the short film as proof of concept for illustrators and further funding.
2. From the idea to the finished product, how long did it take for you
to make this film?
Andy: The team I hired in were top-notch. Production took approximately six days, over weekends when people were free. Post-production took about a 6 weeks as and when people could help, but the initial idea is something I’ve wanted to develop for years. It’s very true to life and echoes a reality not too indifferent from the North’s criminal underbelly.
3. How would you describe your film in two words!?
Andy: My Baby
4. What was the biggest obstacle you faced in completing this film?
Andy: Covid-19 really threw a spanner in the works, but productions were allowed to continue throughout lock down. We had kit hires, rehearsal spaces, cancel on us, but at the end of the day the team navigated it gracefully and respectfully. If they can do this during a national pandemic, imagine what they’ll achieve going forwards…
5. What were your initial reactions when watching the audience talking about your film in the feedback video?
Andy: It was very emotional and fulfilling for the audience to say what they did about a short film that has been a big part of my life and to see members of the team receiving the recognition that they deserved for all the hard work they put in.
It was also incredibly helpful, to know that scenes and set pieces worked as intended.
Watch the Audience FEEDBACK Video:
6. When did you realize that you wanted to make films?
Andy: I’ve been working in television and film for a couple of years now, normally in front of a camera. It’s a passion I’ve had my entire life, and I feel incredibly lucky to finally have the time, freedom and connections to chase it.
7. What film have you seen the most in your life?
Andy: Gladiator for a long time now I think it’s Joker
8. What other elements of the festival experience can we and other festivals implement to satisfy you and help you further your filmmaking career?
Andy: Each of the people on the cast and crew have so many other passion projects that they are part of. Maybe an opportunity to show those other projects within other areas of the creative industries including audiodramas ETC. Offering a category for audiodramas in the festival would also be fab!
9. You submitted to the festival via FilmFreeway. How has your experiences been working on the festival platform site?
Andy: Very easy and quick process.
10. What is your favorite meal?
11. What is next for you? A new film?
Andy: Contained is something bigger than a short film. Contained is a story of childhood trauma, abuse, revenge, love and so much more. It spans over 50 years, from 1976 up to the present day. I would say that this short film is set in 1992. We used this section as it is self contained but leaves a lot of questions about why who what where when for the rest of the series. The whole film/series runs through my head all the time and is constantly being developed further. we have also rewritten the comic and are in the process of having that illustrated so that when we do make the film/series, we have the Contained short and a set of comics that give the backstory and a foundation to build from. It’s safe to say that we have a long, exciting road ahead of us!